Home > How to > How can a 17-year-old leave home without parental permission? ?

How can a 17-year-old leave home without parental permission? ?

just wanting to know.
if i can, and how i can.
and if my parents can do anything about it if i do.

  1. allgoodwithgod
    June 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

    I don’t think you can. Your 17, not 18. Annoying I know, but that one year makes all the difference to the LAW.

  2. Jeremy O
    June 27, 2010 at 11:40 am

    well by all states of legal consent age of 16 you can leave but ya know what 12 months from now when you are 18 they cant say crap just make sure you have a place to stay if you feel like mouthing off to them cause they will tell you to not come home for a night

  3. Liz O
    June 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

    Not a whole lot they can do. They can call the police if it’s late, but even if the police pick you up there isn’t any charges they could put on you, they would just take you home if they found you. Basically all your parents can do is punish you or kick you out when you got home.

  4. nikkibabaaay!
    June 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm

    If you leave without parental consent(or ever with i think) you could get into a lot of trouble, since you’re not an adult yet.

  5. ♥ sohysterical ♥
    June 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

    I asume you mean to move out, and the only way to do that (completely legally) is if you get emancipated. But in order to do that you need to prove that being with your parents is a detriment to your success. So unless your parents are abusive drug addicts, it’s unlikely that would happen.

    Basically, until you;re 18, you’re still a child, and you still need permission.

    June 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

    I think I’ve heard that they can send you to Juvenile hall.
    There might be certain places that let you stay for the night, but have to let parents know.

  7. JohnOSevens
    June 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

    The way to do it is emancipation.

    The laws vary by state, but here’s… pretty much all of them:

    The problem is, emancipation takes a while. You can’t just hand in a form in triplicate and be done. If you’d started this when you were 15, it would have been worth it. At 17, you’re better off just waiting the year. The process itself would take most of that time and would probably be both expensive and embittering, so you save yourself a lot of trouble by just waiting.

  8. Calm before the Storm
    June 27, 2010 at 2:05 pm

    If you have a paying job and can support yourself you can have a judge to release you from your parents. I think that is only for extreme cases though.

  9. Don C
    June 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

    JonOSev’s answer (above) seems to be the best.
    “Just wanting to know” isn’t the same as “I really need to know now,”
    so your interest in finding an answer to your question seems casual, not immediate.

    If you honestly believe there _is_ an immediate need for an answer to this question, find a lawyer that deals in family legal matters and tell them you need to discuss a personal problem that you need help with. Make sure you pay the lawyer at least one dollar in order to hire them to help you with advice. Once you hand them that dollar, you become a bona fide client, and everything said between you is confidential. Even if they accept you “pro bono” (for free), you should still give them a dollar before any conversation begins. If they refuse, tell them that you would be more at ease talking with them if they accept the dollar first.
    Get a receipt for that dollar.

  10. tammmy s
    June 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

    First, if there is abuse, this will be easy to do. I agree that living at home is not always good for a person. Paople assume that all parents are good and all teens are rebellious, and thats not true. First, get a job. Look into alternative public schools that will help you graduate early. People have left home before and made it. Most major cities have programs that help you. But if you were from onw of those you probably would have already seen numerus young people do this and you would know how. If you plan on going to college, remeber they base grants off your parents income untill you are 25. Yes, even if you live alone. I promise you. You can go to college with a GED most people dont know this. Instead of asking on Yahoo I would be thinking, where am I going, what will I drive, what if I run out of money, nd what will my life be like in ten years. think that last one through. And what if hoever I leave with mistreats me? People change when they begin to take you for granted because they think you either can’t or wont leave them. Good luck. And please at least get your GED

  11. Mark B
    June 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm

    as long as you have a safe place to go to and can show ether that you will be supported or that you can support yourself then their is not much that they can do.
    if they call the police then you will have them come over but you can tell them that you do not wont your parents to know where you are and they can not tell them where you are in most places by law it is privacy but at 17 you should be right it is more so when you are under 16 years i think when you will have a issue with it pending on where you are.

    If you are really wanting to know for 100% call your local police station and ask they know what the laws are and what they can and can not do and so that is what i would do

    Good luck

  12. kill hannah
    June 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm

    I’ll pick you up outside your house… HA HA *cough*

    OK, but seriously, I don’t think you can. If you have a real problem, i.e., abuse or something like that tell the police or you can try and get emancipated.

    But, I’ll tell you, I know it might seem crappy right now – but try to get along with your parents because wait until you’re out in the world and you have to like… work and pay bills… yuck.

  13. kit kat
    June 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

    yes you can move out i live in georgia and my mom asked a police officer if i could move in with my boyfriend and you only get emancipated when you are 16 duh!! as of 2007 you can leave without parents consent but let them know you are leaving say mom i am moving and if she says no say i am 17 it is a new law i can move out and research it on the enternet and take it to her and say anymore problems i am 16 and i am moving out with my soon to be husband so i did ask about it!!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: