Home > How to > If i sign over my parental rights can i get the child support to stop?

If i sign over my parental rights can i get the child support to stop?

I live in ohio and my child lives in iowa, I dont see her very much and I pay over 400.00 in child support every month. This is making it difficult for my family to live happy when we can barely make ends meet as it is.
ill add some stuff so you guys know my situation. First off do you guys know the visitation for a kid who lives that far away… I get to see her on christmas every other year, thats it basically. And im not a bum nor do i smoke weed or any of that other shit. I was a supervisor of a steel plant making a ton of money and my heart went bad on me so i lost my job. I paid child support for her for the first 4 years of her life and didnt miss a beat. Now that my money situation has changed its obviously not the same. I now make about 400 bucks a week and 130 of that goes to her, can anyone live off of 270 bucks. I am falling behind and have been threatened with jail time.

Categories: How to Tags: , , , , , ,
  1. magy
    June 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

    I bet you could, but what kind of parent would you be if you did that? perhaps you should have only had as big a ‘new’ family as you could afford to with your first child to support. I can’t imagine what kind of scumbag signs away parental rights to save $. Get a second job already.

  2. richardg
    June 27, 2010 at 11:37 am

    you’re a deadbeat PIG..shame on you

  3. hazeltine4
    June 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

    If you sign over all parental rights, you will pay MORE in child support. It is based partly on the amount of time spent with each parent.

    Good thought — choose money over your child!

  4. miss_may1414
    June 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

    This is very sad. if you sign over rights you will not have rights to see her. You will have to speak to the Mother and a lawyer to arrange this.

    Have you thought about how this will hurt your daughter?

  5. Bill
    June 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm

    Waaaaaaah. I’m sure losing $400 a month will make it more difficult for your CHILD to “live happy.”

    Signing over parental rights doesn’t in itself terminate parental duties. If your child’s stepparent wants to adopt your child, however, you would then be relieved of all responsibility because they’d be stepping up to the plate in your stead.

    Hope you can “live happy” knowing that you sold your kid for $400 a month.

  6. MrsC
    June 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

    So what…it’s her money. She deserves it.
    How will your daughter like it when she’s older and finds out you gave her away for 400$ a month????

  7. Captain Salvador
    June 27, 2010 at 2:07 pm

    if you do sign over your parental rights then you will never have to pay child support again, but it is a decision you have to think about very carefully because you will never be able to have joint custody or anything if you sign them over.

  8. ANGEL
    June 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm

    You are a complete JERK!!!!!! My ex tried that crap too. You must have no soul. WHY do men think they can just not take responsibility for THEIR children. You make me want to vomit.

  9. Maya`s dad
    June 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

    tuff situation. it all depends on your states laws on child support. Here in NM, even if you drop parental rights, you still have to pay child support. Personal decisions don`t eliminate your obligations. But I am walking a mile in your shoes now too. (same situation)

  10. buffy0898
    June 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

    Generally that means once you sign over your rights you have NO rights to that child AT ALL. Child support payments will stop if you do this. But do you really want to cut all ties with your child? I think that is a big selfish of you to want to do that for $400 a month.

  11. SaLs-WyF...7/25/07
    June 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

    You are hella grimey! What kind of parent would sign over his parental rights just to save money? Men like you should not even be able to procreate! You are selfish and how sad for you and your “family” to have to live with someone that would sign away a chld to save 450 dollars…you shoud have though about it when you were cumming in her!

  12. m_c_m_a_n
    June 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm


    You made the child and now you don’t want the responsibility? There are so many good and decent people out there that can’t have children and you could care less about your’s.

    Do you have any idea how this will affect the child knowing her father doesn’t care and wants to disown her?

    Stop being so selfish and get a job!

  13. davencusa
    June 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

    I doubt that you could. Child support has nothing to do with your rights. It has everything to do with your responsibilities. You helped bring the child into the world. You are responsible to care for it.

  14. durtydeuce
    June 27, 2010 at 6:52 pm

    it is your child- you will have to pay support until it is 18 or if it is in college then maybe older (btw..some states the child can sue the parent to pay for college) Poor kid..what an uncaring “parent” you are

  15. stacielb06
    June 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm

    I also live in ohio, and my brother recently signed his perental rights away. However it has to be agreed with both parties that the ongoing child support will stop. There will probably also be a court hearing that you must go to! However, if you owe back child support, you will still be required to pay that. Hope it helps. By the way i think that it si a hard decision to sign over your rights, but sometimes, it is the right thing to do!

  16. jenniferlebo
    June 27, 2010 at 7:48 pm

    It’s not that easy, at least in Pennsylvania. Here the Court will not allow a parent to terminate their rights unless there is another male/female willing to adopt the child as they feel that kids need both a mother and a father.

  17. Terri R
    June 27, 2010 at 8:21 pm

    I hope you have really thought about this. I hope it isn’t just because of money that you’d want to sign your rights away. I hope if you sign your rights away it is because it is in the best interest of your daughter. If you can’t afford that amount in child support there are ways to get it lowered.
    Been there and my husband DID NOT sign rights away and she is an awesome child. We love her very much.

  18. Stefbear
    June 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm

    Your daughter is your family. If all you think about is money then sign off rights and know you will never be anything to her but a doner. She will grow up knowing you didn’t care for a thing for her but you cared more for your pocket of change. If you sign of rights you won’t get to see her ever again, can’t ask to see her and can’t be involved in her life at any level. You won’t have to pay support when you aren’t a father.
    Wow, it must feel good for the kids you are with to know they have a sister you could care less about. Hmmmm, wonder how you feel about them when it comes to your money.

  19. Autumn C.
    June 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

    It depends on the the laws of the particular state that ordered the original custody arrangment.

    In my state, a parent with “rights” (to see the child, to know her health status, to talk to her, to anything…) is a parent with responsibilities.

    When you give up all rights you also give up your responsibilities. I would check with a lawyer though, discreetly. It is also possible they could have your judgement lowered if your financial situation has changed.

    Look into it.

  20. robin_anderson02
    June 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

    Do you owe any back child support?
    You want to give up all rights to your child?
    Is the childs mother aware of this and she is willing?

  21. mystic_eye_cda
    June 27, 2010 at 9:23 pm

    Yes terminating parental rights also terminates parental responsibilities such as child-support.

    However wouldn’t it make more sense to go to court and revisit the support issue. You have a responsibility to this child, as well as your other children.

    Also generally one can not just sign away their parental rights. I have a friend whose husband was convicted of molesting their daughter and the court would not let her terminate his parental rights because it was not in the best interest of the children to let him off the hook for support.

  22. wait and see
    June 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

    Not in the state I live in, which isn’t Ohio or Iowa.Stop being an as* and step up and pay for the family you started.

  23. Jon W
    June 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm

    the only way that would work is if your ex’s new spouse were to adopt the child, then you have no responsibility.

  24. loziiie
    June 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

    thats a very sad thing to say, i hope they dont let you stop paying child support, thats your childs money anyway, you brought your child into this world, now you help your child to live. your a very selfish person.

  25. kellie r
    June 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm

    i understand completely my husband and i pay support on a child he had when he was 15 she has to want you to sign over the rights which is a bunch of crap but thats the way it is the support will stop if she agrees to it though

  26. lisa j
    June 27, 2010 at 11:38 pm

    u sound like a bum..stay off the weed and beer and get a real job..next time u will wear a rubber

  27. Fallon
    June 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

    Yes, that is the idea. But only if the other parent is willing to let you give up the child. For the parent raising the child, it is their choice if they are willing to be the only adult legally tied to the child. If the mother were to die after you give away your rights, she has to have someone to raise the child. The child in NOT given to you. The Mom has to be willing to be the Sole Adopter of the child she currently has. If she allows you to do this, and you later get killed/die, your child does Not receive Social Security or anything else. The parent that doesn’t want to pay child support does not get the option of just “signing over parental rights” or every angry ex-husband, father of an un-expected pregnancy would never pay anything. You only get to give up your rights IF the Mom is willing to take on more responsibility than she has now!
    Have you thought how happy the child in Iowa will be if you try to give it away? Do you fully understand what you are considering?

  28. Moon Shyne
    June 27, 2010 at 11:53 pm

    your child IS your family! GEEEEZ! It does not matter how often you see her she still has to eat and have clothes on her back so you still need to make thepayments but if you cant afford them you can go back to court and show them check stubs and have them readjust what you pay.

  29. ceresandzenobia
    June 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

    Giving your parental rights away means giving up the right to see or consider her your daughter. Is that okay with you?
    If so, I suggest you do give up your rights and ignore badmouthing you here. If you truly feel this way, unfortunate for your daughter but more unfortunate if you keep something going that isn’t there for you. I hope you make a truthful decision, which means looking deep inside and not making decisions out of guilt.

  30. Tseruyah
    June 28, 2010 at 12:23 am

    Your daughter IS your family. She is your responsibility every bit as much as your other children.

    Consider a part-time job and reconsider your budget.

    Your family is not able to live “happy” with so little money? How happy can your daughter be when her daddy is two states away, rarely sees her, and begrudges her $98/week to live on?

    What do you think her image of you is like? Stop trying to find ways to abandon your child and be a better dad.

  31. short_angel_101
    June 28, 2010 at 12:51 am

    Nope! My son’s father tried that and now he pays even more!

  32. R
    June 28, 2010 at 12:52 am

    In most states including OHIO no. Yow will have to still pay and then you don’t have any right to see your child the only way to stop is if she gets adopted by another man

  33. linzlou83
    June 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

    Wow, that’s low. Just because you have a ‘new’ family, you’re willing to give up on your daughter.

    How about making an effort to see her more? How about finding a way to integrate her in with your new family? How about speaking with the court to try and find a more managable amount?

    Children should not be out of sight and out of mind.

  34. Stephanie.Coast
    June 28, 2010 at 1:48 am

    You are a saddd person. She is your daughter, you made her and you are equally responsible for caring for her… if you can’t be with her, then your money at least helps ensure that she lives a happy life… geesh.

  35. Xena's Keeper
    June 28, 2010 at 2:47 am

    Signing away parental rights will terminate your child support obligation, though if you owe anything in arrears you will still be responsible for paying that off.

  36. nykate_winslow
    June 28, 2010 at 3:03 am

    the court will not let you terminate you parental rights just as a means to end child support. Besides. that is your child. Stop being selfish and take care of what you are responsible for.

  37. jeepmon65
    June 28, 2010 at 3:05 am

    Speaking as a man whose father did just this, please do not give up your parental rights!! This will hurt your child very much, I can not describe the pain I felt knowing that my father cast me aside.

  38. American Girl
    June 28, 2010 at 3:19 am

    FYI, in some states, you can’t just simply sign away your rights. Most states will make certain there is someone else ready to step into those financial shoes before you can terminate.

    On the other side of things, isn’t your child worth the effort? Why do you feel badly about the family you live with, but not the child you don’t? That child is “family” too. Do you suppose the child living without you is living happy? Come on!

    You are the adult and the responsibilty lies with you. Would you give up on your Ohio family so easily to make life cheaper?

  39. babygirl0314
    June 28, 2010 at 3:35 am

    Well regardless if you sign your rights over or not your daughter still has to eat, and have a home and clothing. It would be heartless of you to sign over your rights to her. Especially if you have other children in your new family. Think how that would make her feel. No offense but you should have thought about that before you had her. She does need a dad in her life.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: